What is a dental Veneer?
A veneer procedure is a popular cosmetic procedure. Porcelain is known as one of the best materials for esthetic dental procedures, because it mimics tooth enamel very closely. Veneers are extremely thin (usually less than 0.5 mm thickness), giving them an enamel-like translucence creating a natural appearance. They are about as thick as a contact lens or a fingernail. Tooth preparation requires very little tooth alteration.
Porcelain veneers are attached to your teeth using a dental bonding glue or cement. Although veneers are very thin, once bonded to your teeth they become strong. The process is fast and conservative. First, your teeth are prepared and impressions are sent to a dental laboratory along with the design for your new smile. Veneers may be recommended along with other cosmetic procedures in order to produce optimal results.
Veneer Procedure Steps:
- Your teeth are cleaned so that only you natural tooth is present. Old surface restorations are removed.
- In some cases the tooth is etched so the veneers will adhere.
- An impression is taken of the tooth area where the veneers will go and sent to the lab for fabrication.
- When the veneers are ready, your dentist will check the fit and appearance, then permanently attach them to your teeth.
- After the veneer is set, it is shaped and polished to look like a natural tooth.
Veneer Procedure Benefits:
- You can have your porcelain veneers and a beautiful new smile in just two office visits!Â
- Very little tooth alteration to your natural teeth and does not affect neighboring teeth.
- Gap space between teeth can be closed without braces.
- Veneers can add tooth length to worn down teeth.
- Veneers can add tooth shape and thickness.
- Veneers can cover broken or chipped teeth so that they look like healthy normal teeth.
- Renew the color of discolored teeth.
- There is no dark line at the base like you may have noticed with some dental crowns, and porcelain is stain-resistant for lasting beauty.
Porcelain Veneers vs. Lumineers
- Lumineers is specific brand of porcelain veneers, which use a patented porcelain material known as Cerinate. They are even thinner than traditional veneers.
- Lumineers require very little or no tooth reduction. They are a great choice if your teeth only need minor changes, or if they are set back slightly.
- Traditional veneers may be a better choice if you are looking to make more dramatic changes.